Friday, February 15, 2008

HSA telemarketing pitch


Sorry about having to move the webinar but I had a prospect move up a HSA webinar presentation. Very good presentation too - 54 year old lady, great health paying $390 through Carefirst and I can save her over $100 a month and lower her liability.

Initially she expressed a concern over paying more for her deductible - she has $750 deductible now with BX. However, what she didn't know was she also has a $2,500 OOP 80/20.

She tried to argue that point, standing firm that $750 was all she had to pay. Thanks to technology and desktop sharing I pulled up the Carefirst site and showed her she has $750 + $2,500 = $3,250 in liability.

She says "wow...I never knew that." So now she has less liability and over $1,000 a year in savings. Her only concern is her annual and I convinced her that a repriced annual is no where near $1,000.

Should be signing her up on Monday. I take my time with people and it hits when it hits. I am very uncomfortable "closing" people when they're not ready to sign up - and everyone's 6th sense tells them when they're talking to someone who's not quite there yet.

Good move to make? Crank out a "nice talking to you" letter and highlight some points you made. I mail prospects all the time. I really don't know if it has a direct effect since when I sign people up I don't ask "hey, did my letter make a difference?"

My theory is it's professional and goes far towards legitimacy. If I'm spending a lot of time with someone I can cough up the cost of postage.

I was back in the dialer today and tried a HSA script - great success. In fact, I like the HSA script far more than the "save you 30% script."

My pitch was pretty basic:

"Hi, this is John Petrowski with Maryland Health Plans. I'm calling because we're currently heavily promoting HSA health plans through the top carriers like Carefirst, United Healthcare and Time. On average they are 50% less expensive then traditional plans and I like to email you the information and rates."

When you're making calls the intro needs to be short and get to the point. If not you'll have a lot of people cutting you off - which sucks.

After a "yes" then it's time to slowly get more and more info:

  1. I just need your age and zip code to work up the rates
  2. Have you heard of HSAs before?
  3. What do you currently have now?
As I get more and more info qualifying more and more drop out with "just send me what you have and I'll take a look at it." I'll always email the into to those people but not count them as a lead.

If they're unwilling to give me their age and zip it's pretty much over. But as you can see, I did just over 2 hours of calling today with 7 solid HSA leads.

This is cool. First of all, it's cool to have this CRM system where I'm talking to so many people I get a chance to play around with scripts. Secondly, I really enjoyed talking about HSAs to people today.

What made me feel the best was displaying to knowledge of HSAs. I pretty proficient on them, but not a total expert - need to do more research to get into some intimate details.

2 comments:

Marc Hart said...

John that is great as you know that is mainly what I sell and I have been using that pitch in 2008 and seen my numbers go way up.

info@marylandquotes.com said...

I've always wanted to try a HSA pitch but when I was hand dialing I never could take the risk.

I also had a mental block that my leads and sales would go down if I only talked about HSAs.

That has yet to be determined since I just did a HSA script on Friday - however 7 solid leads in 2 hours looks very promising.

Personally, I enjoyed the script much more than my typical "save 30% or more" pitch.