Friday, August 24, 2007

Some important steps

I did a pretty big review today and made some changes so I can get to my goal faster. The first was changing my agency name - which I've wanted to do for quite a while. I was the Health Solutions Agency however "health solutions" doesn't say anything about what I do and would be difficult to brand. My new business name is "Maryland Health Plans" which gets right to the point. I filled out the DOI trade name paperwork and faxed it today.

I hammered out a deal with a very good friend of mine who's in the small group market. I also want to offer group but don't know much about the market and need training. So when I'm telemarketing I'm gonna hit owners up for group or individual quotes then pass along all the group leads to Bruce. We'll commission split but he'll also train me.

I also got back to work calling local businesses with great results. I have an in-person appointment on Tuesday with the owner of a Lido's Pizza. I'm back to face-to-face appointments for all local prospects. I not only enjoy in-person meeting better but the closing ratio is twice as good as online.

I also got out 200 flyers today in residential areas. I've been putting out flyers for years and the results have always been good - it's just a bit of physical effort getting them up. The math on flyers is easy - I get one deal per 1,000 placed and it takes me an hour to put up 200.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

will your url address name change or will be different with the new name change?

info@marylandquotes.com said...

Once the insurance administration issues my new trade name it'll change. Until then I have to use Health Solutions.

Anonymous said...

Why give up the group to someone else. You can work with BenefitMall or Rodgers who will do the enrollment for you. Are you worried about having to service the client? If you do small groups of 8 to 15 I would not think there would be all that much do do. Have you asked your friend about that? If you are going to get an office could you hire someone to come in once or twice a week to handle any group servicing? Seems silly for someone with all your experience to give up away this business.

info@marylandquotes.com said...

My buddy's just gonna be showing me the ropes. Then I'll be writing all my own small group cases.

Anonymous said...

Today's Traffic is the Internet and always will be that way. This is the way consumers do buisness, and continues to grow every year. Why not spend the money to promote your site? Five years from now if you dont, you will be passing out flyers and calling prospects from telemarketing leads, Its the future. Really Good SEO requires money and knowledge, but the payoff will be greater.

info@marylandquotes.com said...

I agree and disagree. I will indeed by doing Adwords but only in my locality. The internet attracts the younger people but does little to attract savvy older business owners. Most of them wouldn't be caught dead tying in their address and phone number in a website.

I won't be doing telemarketing or flyers within a year. I will be doing community based advertising using many different forms of media.

Interesting enough, one of the larger agencies in MD that does nothing but group and was "agency of the year" for Mamsi does nothing by telemarket middle market. The owner found that dollar for dollar telemarketing was the most effective method of getting clients.

It depends on the business you're after. I'm not after "Becky, age 25" looking for a $60 a month premium. I'm looking for small biz owners.

Anonymous said...

Have watched you and read your comments for almost two years, Good luck to you, but have seen a pattern in your Buisness, never stick with one system. So much energy spent with same results.

Anonymous said...

SEO has nothing to do with Adwords, You want organic placement in the search engines, This is where your small buisness owner is reading,and buying. Your fooling yourself thinking the small buisness owner is not searching the Web, no they are not filling out InsureMe forms, and all the other junk. You must target on very specific keywords, and have a quality lead form, or you will go broke trying to get good leads from adwords, just doesnt work on the individual level my friend. If you lead site on your website is fill in the blanks and you have no mechanism in place to filter "phone numbers" and the big one is email. You really need to study Internet Marketing, I think you have a real bad impression, due to the Leads that you have dealt with.

info@marylandquotes.com said...

Over the past 4 years I have never used just one system to get leads - never will. I've used telemarketing, B to B and flyers. I continue to use all three of those methods.

info@marylandquotes.com said...

Anon, regarding SEO - I'm really not going to concentrate too much on the internet.