Thursday, November 1, 2007

More leads = less frustration

Sounds obvious, but if you're looking for make this an enjoyable career you simply need a lot of leads. How many? The better agents close around 1 out of 15 - average is around 1 out of 20.

So work it backwards - you want 3 deals a week you're looking at between 50 to 60 leads. What I see is a lot of is agents getting 20 a week and trying to milk three deals out of it. Ain't gonna happen. If I was a new agent, no renewals, no referrals yet, etc...I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 8 leads a day.

What will happen is you'll doubt your selling ability, lead source and script. You'll got into "what am I doing wrong" mode when you're not doing anything wrong.

I know I have a client when I'm on the phone and they voice a problem - it's either the premium, plan or lack of insurance. If they don't complain chances are I don't have a deal. They need to be converational and you can be Zig Ziglar and not make them be conversational if they have little to no interest.

At least 80% of your leads, regardless of the source, will not be interested enough to be converational. They'd rather roll around in broken glass than talk to you for another 10 seconds. So the key to actually enjoying this is to let those people off the hook. Stop pestering them.

Do you actually call leads back 3, 5 five times? Then you're not getting enough fresh leads. If you weren't intested in something would you want someone calling you that often. Would you do business with someone that desperate? If I saw the same caller ID on my phone 5 times in two days I'd think "what a loser."

You and I both know the prospects who as soon as they pick up the phone and realize you're an agent mentally say "SHIT!" Again - let them go. Don't watch them twist and turn while you drone on and one with stuff they don't want to hear. Use your 6th sense.

When I go through my calls each day my line is "What are you most concerned about, your rate or your plan?" The answer for most people - neither. They're happy where they are. I'm looking for the 2 or 3 out of 15 people to engage me with "it's my rate. I hate it. I was struggling at $650 but now it's $720 and I need to do something about it." That's my client and you won't find too many like that unless you have high lead volume.

I guess you can pull a "salesman" on people and really dig in but then you might as well sell timeshares and make real money.

No comments: