Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Always confirm appointments

8am: I set an appointment at the end of last week for 8:30am - owners of a auto repair shop about 20 minutes from me. They were closed yesterday so I couldn't confirm. There are those out there who teach to never confirm - just run the appointment. The theory is if you call that gives 'em a chance to back out. First of all, if the deal is so weak that just calling them to confirm leads to them back out then good; just saved me a lot of time. However, in this case they're still interested but when I called only the husband was in. The wife had an issue at home and isn't gonna be in until 10am. So I'd have done the whole suit and tie thing, driven out there and likely been trapped into doing a one-legger.

12:30: Set two more appointments this week, re-set this morning's for Thursday and scrubbed a 4pm I had today. I called to confirm and I could just tell by the conversation it would be a wasted trip. His words: "Well you can still come but right now we're still deciding what to do and we'll be looking more into it next month." Errrr! People can get excited sometimes when you set up a time to meet, but then husband and wife sit down and simply decide they're not at the right time to make a move. I respect that. However, running those appointments is uncomfortable at best. I do not like "closing" anyone and hate that kind of tension. People purchase plans from me - I do not "sell" them and there's a difference. In any case, I let him off the hook and I could how upbeat he got. Why "force" people to meet with you. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

No comments: