Monday, September 3, 2007

Community involvement

Well I got a list of the businesses that will be at my community network breakfast next week and was interested to see Nationwide and Allstate. This is what these guys do - they are simply involved in the community, not cold-calling all day.

Although I'm excited to get involved in local events and the chamber of commerce it's not all about just getting business. It's really about being a part of my community and not just leeching off it it. You can cold-call or buy leads but you are only gaining business for yourself and not giving anything back. I've been at this for four years and have never really felt like a legitimate business owner. I don't think you can unless it's a give and take between getting business from community, but also giving back.

I see a lot of agents kid themselves - thinking they are "helping people" by selling insurance. Yes, in one way we do indeed help people. But when I think if helping people I think more about Habitat for Humanity then insurance agents. When I was a Mega agent (God forgive me!) they has a cheesy saying; HOPE - helping other people every day. Lol. I think if you want to "help people" you need to hit the grocery store and buy some food then take it down to you local soup kitchen. If you really want to help then you volunteer at the kitchen.

I've very interested in simply bettering my life all around and getting involved in a local charity. I can't think if anything more distasteful then getting involved in a charity with the motive of gaining business, so at any charitable event I simply won't discuss at all what I do. What I'm even more interested in is starting an extremely small charity myself. I'd like to do something to help children in the hospital along the lines of bringing in cool toys - maybe hand-held video games so they can have something do to besides watch tv. I was in the hospital as a kid for 5 days and basically it's only TV between family visits.

No comments: