Friday, October 5, 2007

Just walk away


Walking away from a deal is hard and asking questions you don't want to hear the answer to can be harder. With time in this business warning flares will go up after talking to certain clients. This was a case where enough flares were going off to light up a 4th of July celebration.

Got contacted by a lead - 1st flare. She's been on Cobra for months - 2nd flare. She tells me she's perfectly healthy but is really pressing me to get a plan started immediately - 3rd flare. When I was a new agent I'd have simply asked the health questions and did the app.

We went through the entire online app and I went over the MIB and claims review process. After I did the app I walked her through the verification and as she was looking over the app she started asking me more about the claims review. At that point I'd had it and went over how claims works in detail.

Then she coughs it up - car accident a few months ago and her back's been hurting ever since. The Cobra she was on? It lapsed due to non-payment so she doesn't have any coverage. She was simply scared she's get denied if she talked about her back pain - and she's right. Off to the state plan which is where we would have gone in the 1st place if she'd have been upfront with me.

Obviously we all want get paid for our efforts but this is a case where I had to walk away from $600+ and take the $100 from the state.

No comments: