Monday, October 1, 2007

Great past week and taxes


I had a great past week - have a nice Assurant check coming, did a GR deal for $720, two Aetna's and two state plans. Although I didn't do any cold-calling I already addressed that my pay has not gone up significantly - I merely replaced what I used by make cold-calling by going local. This week needs to be a mix of local and cold-calling so I can have extra money to put into local growth.

Taxes. If you're a new agent the best advice I can give you is talk to a tax pro. If anyone's telling you that you don't have to pay quartly estimated taxes they're wrong: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=110413,00.html Do NOT take any tax advice from anyone unless that person is a licensed tax pro!

I misfiled and it took the IRS over 6 years to shoot me a love letter. The penalities and interest were staggering. I made an installment arrangment but strugging to make the payments plus all my bills put my behind on quartly taxes which defaulted my installment agreement. I just had to give them a chunk to get current again.

If it were not for past tax mistakes I'd be in fantastic financial shape. I'd be able to rent a physical location this week. The IRS is 100% of the reason I'm behind the eight ball.

I've also, thankfully, been paying on my past-due state taxes all year (also from years ago.) And thank God! Why? Because they just sent me a letter stating that I cannot renew my insurance license on Oct 23rd unless I'm current. Thankfully I only have $1,100 more to go so that's not an issue.

Everyone talks about difficulties with this line of work. For me finding clients and making money have never been an issue. A huge psychological issue for me is getting a check for $2,000, knowing around $600 of it isn't mine (federal + states) and putting it aside.

No comments: