Tuesday, November 6, 2007

GR approves my deal!

GR finally approved my case. Fantastic....and slow. I take some hits for not selling more GR, I guess the theory is because of the Assurant weekly advance. Well, I get a GR weekly advance. In fact, one of my agent friends gets paid on submit for GR cases and still doesn't give them much business. One of my very good friends in CT who writes a LOT of business is struggling to give GR 50 cases a year to keep his broker contract.

The truth is I'd like nothing better than to write a lot more GR cases - they kill Assurant's rates. The problem is GR doesn't play nice with people who have on-going conditions - especially those on meds. And it's not rider vs. no rider. Lately they've flat out declined a few cases of mine. I have no problem with riders on recovered conditions although I've not a huge fan of ridering on-going conditions. But heck, I'd take a rider in a lot of cases if they'd just approve the deal.

I have other tiny issues with GR:

1) I hate the "80/20 to $10,000" in the brochure. Unless explained, some prospects think they need to reach $10,000 before GR pays 100%. While on sit-downs I always have to explain it. I have no clue why they don't just state the $2,000 OOP like other carriers.

2) Going through the brochure coverage is listed at "80%" on Copay Select again leading people to believe they only have 80% coverage - then I explain that's only until they hit the OOP. I would like it better if they just stated these items were "covered."

3) Online E-sig - where clients have to type their name in over and over and over and over.

4) Online app - bank address. I always have to hop onto Google since no one knows the address of their bank. I know this info isn't necessary to draft since no other company requires it.

5) Online app - inablity to put in detailed pre-ex information. Assurant's online EASE app allows the agent to enter extremely detailed pre-ex info necessary for proper underwriting.

6) No wet signature. I love Assurant's offer to accept/attest. For those who don't know, Assurant clients must review the typed app when they receive the policy, sign and return a document stating it's correct. This is a HUGE CYA move.

7) Inability to get riders signed when the app's approved. With Assurant I can email the counter off to my client which I think is imporant. GR just sticks the rider in the policy.

8) The software is awkward and nonfunctional. I can't email proposals to clients and do not like the way rates print out. I would think with the finaincal power of UHC they could have incredible software.

These or course are just nit-picky and have nothing to do with my recommendation or the sale. The truth is if GR dealt better with clients who are on meds they'd be 80% of my business. I do not work with internet leads where the average client is under 35 and healthy. That's a GR feeding frenzy. I work with 45+ biz owners who have to run to their medicine cabinet to read off their meds to me.

My suggestion is to have a flexible drug deductible. $100 is nice.....if you're not on meds. I think they should allow a $500 drug deductible option and deal better with people on medication.

No comments: