Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My goals and my lead rant














My goals the next year have remained unchanged - I want to do 100% local advertising including sponsoring all available local events. Why don't I just do that now? Cash flow. Although I made good money now, after taxes, business and personal expenses it's not enough. I need to save up money.

I'm also extremely interested in the Vimo live transfer leads. As stated, I am absolutely not against buying leads. I'm against buying junk leads. The quality of internet leads sucked to a point with me where I was literally spending half my day calling people over and over just to write modest business. Then call centers spung up and I was now competeting with unethical slam artists.

I used to call 10 leads and have 4 to 5 pick up the phone. Then I normally was only sharing that lead with a discount rep and Mega agent. I was doing quit well, always closed 1 out of 10 and was happy to pay around $8 a pop. Then most lead companies either jacked the rates, went under (two good source I used simply said forget it when Google re-configured rates for PPC and 1st place placement) and most went to affliate programs.

SO WHAT DID INTERNET LEADS USED TO BE LIKE?

I attached the last month I had with internet leads which for me was July of 2006 - about a year and a half ago (before it all went into the crapper.)

Received 46 leads
Spoke with 27
Wrote 10


That's 58% answered and I closed one out of every 2.7 people I spoke with. I closed one out of every 4.6 leads received. What you don't see is volume. You didn't need it (and couldn't get it anyway) since they are all people actually searching for health insurance. Now you could get 46 leads and be luck to speak to 4 people. Maybe you have 2 or 3 deals - maybe you have none.

The problem with the companies that went to affiliates is they continued to charge the same rates even though quality was greatly diminished as well as their costs. What's a spam generated lead worth? About $3 to $4. The only lead worth $8 is a key word generated lead - meaning the client hopped on the net and typed in "health insurance quotes." How much is a lead worth where the prospect doesn't know or want agent contact? Next to nothing - around $1 to $2.

Affiliates have landing sites that tout "instant online quotes." Lead companies should not allow that. All landing sites should state in some way that agents will contact them. And lastly, agents should not put up with it. If you're spending over $7 for leads where the client has no idea you're calling and they're not key work driven you should write an email to that company and quit. How anyone is paying $7 to $8 per lead to have 5% or even 10% of the people pick up the phone is beyond me. All I can say is you're not very business savvy.

The Vimo live transfer has my interest peaked because I'm seeing the exact same results I used to have on my old lead system.

2 comments:

Nevada Health Insurance said...

Vimo is doing $7.50 for shared leads with a $24 live transfer if you can get it. They tout in Nevada least 2.2 agents are getting the shared leads, I'm interested in both and we'll see.

info@marylandquotes.com said...

I only used their shared leads a while ago - over a year and found and didn't find the quality to be there. I'll post tonight about their live transfers.