Monday, February 25, 2008

Qualification - the key to making this stress free

I learned years ago to take a lot of time and qualify people quickly. Chasing people are who are disinterested, uninsurable or who you can't help is a waste of your time and your prospect's time.

First of all, there are always rare exceptions to the rule, but the rule is if the first thing out of your prospect's mouth when you call is "you really got me at a bad time" it's over. Yes, do call again (I do) but what you're gonna find it is goes nowhere.

When you're calling interested people who want and need your help it's never a bad time. When it's legitimate and you really did catch them when they're too busy they will apologize and suggest that you call them back later the same day. Disinterested people will never suggest that you call them back.

Now....you're on the phone with someone who wants to talk with you and has some time - you need to qualify. It's not rude. It's a time saver for both parties.

You need to qualify for three things:

  • Health
  • Time
  • Money

HEALTH

While on the 1st call I need the information necessary to work up quotes which is health history, height/weight and anything pending (testing, doctor visits, procedures.) For me it's as simple as this:

"I don't like to quote inaccurate rates - then I just get yelled at. So I just need some quick information so the rates I work up are accurate:

  1. "How's your health? Are you currently on any medication? Do you have any diagnosed conditions - even small ones like allergies or asthma?"
  2. "Do yo smoke"
  3. "What's your height and weight?"
  4. "Do you have anything scheduled like a doctor's appointment or testing?"

TIME

This is something I learned to do years back also - qualify for their time frame. You don't want to be sitting in front of your client after an hour presentation and hear "Well this is all great but we just paid for the quarter so we don't need to do anything until May. Got a card?"

My question is simple:

"Once you choose a plan do you want it to start within 30 days?

You'll be surprised at the amount of people who will say "Nah, I'm just shopping now and planning on doing something in the summer." Or "Right now we just want to look at some rates and we'll get back to you."

Those would have been all of your "You got a card?" people on appointments. I'm not running around to see someone only to find out they have zero interest in signing up regardless of the rates I show them.


MONEY

This is key especially for currently uninsured prospects. I'm not setting an appointment with anyone who doesn't have coverage unless I get an agreement that the range of rates I quoted is in their budget.

"Tim, since you currently don't have coverage now I want to make sure that the plans I'm quoting are in your budget. Depending on what you choose you're looking at $160 to $230. Is that in your range?"

I'm not wasting my time on a presentation only to find out he's looking to be under $100. For people with a plan, most of them are not going to switch unless you save them enough to make it a no-brainer.

If they're currently at $460 and the best you can do is $420 I guarantee that's not a no-brainer. That's a "we need time to think about it." I've found that you need to save people at least $100 a month before they're flinch. For qualifying people with a current plan I actually don't ask a question but gauge their response when I set up the appointment:

"Ok, you're paying $460 I have several plans to show you between $305 and $330 which means you'll be saving over $100 per month. All I need is 20 to 30 minutes and I'll sit down with you and go over your options.......what time is best for you?"

When I'm not saving them a significant amount of money I hear "Oh, this is a really bad week." When I'm right on the mark I hear "How about Wednesday morning?"

CALLING TO CONFIRM - THE ULTIMATE CONFIRMATION

Most of my appointment cancel. They cancel because of the kind of qualification I do - they know I'm not an information kiosk and I'm all about business; signing 'em up. Because of that a lot of people flake when I call to confirm appointments.

This is why I don't mind seeing people and a lot of agents simply hate meeting face to face. My closing is near 100% when I meet with people because they know I'm coming over to take an app and I know they qualify.

Agents who hate to qualify or don't qualify spend a lot of time running around and end up passing out a lot of cards.

Just realize that as uncomfortable and appointment is for you with an uninterested prospect they're more uncomfortable. It flat out sucks to sit through an entire sale presentation when you know you're not gonna buy.

Save you and your clients time and headache and get all the qualification out of the way before you meet.




3 comments:

Life Insurance Hunter said...

Great post! A little qualification goes along way to make an agent's life much easier and this business much more rewarding. I probably lose business by over qualifying, but I have no regrets, because I free up more time to do more prospecting.

info@marylandquotes.com said...

I agree - I'm sure I miss a few deals by qualifying. When I worked at UGA my managers were adamant about just setting the appointment without qualifying saying that unless they see the product and know you they can't make a decision.

I disagree. I don't think I should be at anyone's house unless I can improve their situation and they're ready to make a move.

JR said...

"you really got me at a bad time"

HaHa, that one hit home. I recently experienced one of those moments and this was the 2nd attempt at setting up an appointment. I genuinely thought the person was being honest about being very busy with work.

I finally had it and said, "That's ok, when would be a good time later today to go over the information?"

Scheduled appointment for 3 hours later (Friday afternoon) and guess what. No show. Chalk that one up to experience. Nothing like having more leads for a fix.